Tuesday, April 14, 2015

                                 
                                    

                                     An Awesome Read
 

I got ‘The Amazing Racist’ by Chhimi Tenduf-La, as a birthday present...and this is by far the best ever gift of a book I have ever gotten. I just loved it. I haven’t laughed out loud while reading a book in a long time. My whole family were giving me strange looks as I just kept reading and laughing, an almost permanent grin on my face. I haven’t spoilt myself taking non-stop – ‘me time,’ the way I did with this book. I only stopped to coach my 7 year old daughter with her exams...then back to reading while eating, while everyone else slept, and well into the wee hours of the morning. I just couldn’t put the book down. 
                                                                 
‘She kicked me in the stomach, onto Uncle Thilak’s leather chair. His throne. The chair in the portrait behind his desk. Now my bare arse against it. Sticking to it. Sweating on it. Leaning over me, she swooshed her hair across my bare legs, against my chest. Her muscular legs held her above me without touching. Teasing. The greatest bloody tease of all time.’

This is just one scene that I loved, but the best parts are the conversations between Uncle Thilak and Eddie (suddha) that are rib tickling, reeking with sarcasm with an unbeatable witty flow to the words, that make you hate and love the old fellow at the same time. Your descriptions are so colourful.The way you portray Sri Lanka hilarious yet, so touching that reading this is like looking at a spectacular painting of a myriad colours.

The style of writing is so engaging that you just have to turn that page and keep going and going and, going. The humour is excellent and the plot is simply lovely. It’s the kind of book that’s not just captivating, it HOLDS YOU CAPTIVE! You just have to read it till you finish it...and when you do, you just sit back and wish the story hadn’t ended, that there was just a little more. Just a little bit more to chew on.

I finished the book and then thought...really, this guy is genius. You had made me laugh all through the book, fall in love with an old sarcastic character I would normally dislike and then, feel that feeling...

...I can only compare to as the type of satisfaction you get after you have just indulged in a delicious dessert and you finish the last drop, practically lick the dish dry and then you have that unbearable urge to have - just that one spoon more.

Well, that was the exact feeling that I felt when I reached the last few lines.

Oh! I just loved your book and I just can’t wait for the other book you say you are writing to come out.




No comments:

Post a Comment